|Location||American Ambulance, Miami, FL|
|Department||Fleet / Maintenance|
|Reports to||Fleet Manager|
This is skilled mechanical equipment repair position involving overhaul, diagnostics, maintenance and repair of gasoline and diesel powered automotive, equipment and related components. The range of tasks include equipment service, tire repair, up fit vehicles with specialized equipment, modify and fabricate equipment and parts, weld broken items, obtain parts, maintain tools and keep the shop area in a clean and orderly condition. Occasionally, employees may be expected to provide direction and technical guidance to less experienced employees. Work is performed with considerable independence under the general guidance of the Fleet Manager or Lead Mechanic and is reviewed for quality and timeliness.
The Mechanic may be assigned one or more duties. These duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Perform skilled mechanical repair and overhaul work on all types of fleet equipment such as automobiles, trucks and busses (both light and heavy duty), gasoline and diesel engines, emergency response vehicles, patient handling and safety equipment in accordance with standard trade practices.
- Repair, rebuild, or replace various types of hydraulic equipment such as pumps, hoses, cylinders, jacks, and other related parts and various types of transmissions, including automatic, manual drive systems and their related components.
- Perform skilled diagnostic and repair procedures on standard and electronic ignition systems, along with computerized fuel injection, diesel fuel systems and total vehicle electrical systems.
- Prepare, pre inspect and inspect vehicles and equipment. Perform preventative maintenance on any and all equipment including: engine oil changes, chassis lubrication, check and replenish other fluids as needed. Repair or replace as needed: lights, brakes and related parts, tires and tubes, chassis parts, mounted vehicle components or any other system or component (both interior and exterior), install and repair safety equipment, emergency lighting and accessories, light bars, spots lights, emergency equipment, communication system and related vehicle wiring. Respond to service calls as needed. Make repairs in the field when possible. Tow vehicles if necessary.
- Weld and modify equipment, including fabrication of parts as needed.
- Follow proper procedures for creating requisitions, obtaining repair service parts and supplies, producing and maintaining records of labor, parts and supplies used in work production. Demonstrate knowledge of parts.
- Comply with all safety regulations and participate in shop Safety. Demonstrate knowledge of occupational hazards and safety precautions of automotive and machine shop work. Clean and maintain shop area, tools and equipment.
- Test and inspect completed work to assure proper performance and timely completion.
The Mechanic may be assigned one or more additional duties. These duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Perform other duties as needed or directed.
- Applicant must furnish own hand tools with sufficient tool inventory to complete daily tasks and work assignments.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The individual in this position must possess the following education requirements:
- A minimum of Five (5) years of work with gasoline and diesel equipment experienced automotive mechanic and use of all the latest testing equipment. Successful completion of Two (2) years of technical school training in gasoline and diesel engine repair with Three (3) years experience may be substituted for up to Five (5) years of experience. A valid FL state driver’s license with less than 3 points and minimum of 21 years of age required.
The mental demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Good powers of observation, initiative and problem solving with diagnostic skills are required. Ability to work in adverse weather conditions, including temperature extremes, for extended periods of time. Ability to work on emergency basis with short notice. Ability to work in small, confined areas with arms extended over head for extended periods of time. Ability to bend, stoop, squat and reach/extend arms repeated times daily, and ability to perform repetitive motions. Ability to lift 50 lbs. and move 100 lbs. Ability to distinguish between sounds/noises that can be identified. Hand/eye coordination is necessary to perform various diagnostic and repair tasks. Ability to use spatial judgment. Ability to respond to emergency call out and make repairs in adverse conditions. Applicant must have the ability to respond to equipment failures during non-duty hours on an on-call basis or to work beyond regular daily shift as required by the workload. Position requires skill in the use of hand and machine tools, testing equipment, welders, torches, and other automotive equipment associated with the diagnosis and repairs of fleet equipment.