|Job Title||Insurance Collector (Medical Billing)|
|Location||American Ambulance, Miami, FL|
|Department||Billing / Collections|
|Reports to||Billing Manager|
American Ambulance Service which serves Miami Dade, Broward and Monroe Counties provides basic and advanced life support and also provides ventilator and bariatric services. American Ambulance Service also has contracts with Joe DiMaggio Children's Hospital and University of Miami Hospital providing branded specialty care ambulances and staffing for the emergency departments of the hospitals when the staff is not engaged in providing ambulance transportation.
The Insurance Collector (Medical Billing) is responsible for working insurance claims in a timely and efficient manner after the initial sent claim in order to facilitate payment from the appropriate source. Duties include EOB review, working denials, filing appeals, claim statusing, requesting refunds, applying appropriate contractuals, reviewing claim for accuracy. The Postbill Representative/Collector should be knowledgeable in the life-cycle of a claim and the expectation of a variety of payors.
Productivity will vary, depending on specific Postbill/Collector role. Productivity will be defined for this position by the Billing Manager.
At times, mandatory overtime may be required with short notice.
The Postbill Representative may be assigned one or more duties. These duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Must know how to read and review EOBs and Electronic remits
- Claim status by phone or online
- Know when to file appeal
- Recognize denials and work accordingly.
- Research payor specific information, online, in provider manuals, and by calling payors
- Review claim for accuracy, when necessary- must have a basic understanding of the Prebill functions (i.e. signature rules, icd-9 coding, modifiers, etc.)
- Navigate through Attachments to locate supporting documentation that may be relative to the billing process (i.e. EMS Report, medical records, EOB, etc.)
- Ensure the proper payor has been added and select the appropriate next schedule and/or event
- Request refunds
- Respond to payor correspondence
- Document all actions taken in the Account Notes.
- Other duties as assigned by Billing Manager
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to adequately perform each essential duty. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The individual in this position must possess the following qualifications:
- High School Diploma and two years of Medical Billing and Collection experience.
- Must be computer literate.
- Skilled in data entry.
- Ability to type a minimum of 45 wpm.
- Must have knowledge of medical terminology.
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills.
- Ability to communicate, both orally and in writing, in a professional manner when dealing with employees and management.
- Ability to work independently of direct supervision.
- Well organized and detail oriented.
- Display a willingness to work as a team player
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and to prioritize their importance.
Physical Demands The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to handle or feel objects, keyboards, or phones, reach with hands and arms, and talk or hear. The employee is primarily required to sit and type. The employee is occasionally required to stand or walk. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus
Environmental Conditions: Except where appropriate and conducive to accomplishing the goals and objectives of a particular task (such as in an emergency situation) the Postbill Representative/Collector will work in a well lighted area that is ventilated and is as physically and psychologically innocuous as possible under the conditions which exist at a particular time. To be qualified for the position of Postbill Representative, an applicant/employee will have the ability to work in an environment conducive to allowing high productivity, with reasonable accommodation and without posing a direct threat to self or others. The noise level in the work environment is quiet to moderate.
The statements in this document are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by individuals assigned to the classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. This document in no way constitutes a contract of employment. Falck reserves the right to modify job descriptions, policies or any other procedural documents at any time, for any reason without prior notice.